Michael T. Mondak speaks about the need for a Penn State gameday social in Mercer County

As a Penn State alumnus from the class of 2010 and a lifelong Penn State fan living in Mercer County, I've been thinking about something I believe the community could use:  a regular social gathering for Penn State alumni, former students, fans and friends right here in Mercer County.





I'm not talking about another formal meeting or a singles group.  I'm talking about getting local Penn Staters together on selected Saturdays when the Nittany Lions are playing a home game.

Imagine meeting at a local Mercer County venue a couple of hours prior to kickoff, enjoying some food, talking Penn State football, meeting other local Penn Staters, and participating in some Penn State-themed activities before watching the game together.

Why Mercer County?

There are plenty of Penn State fans and alumni in this area, but I haven't found a regular social gathering specifically designed to bring them together.

That's an opportunity.

Rather than expecting Mercer County Penn Staters to travel to Pittsburgh for a watch party, I'd like to see something developed right here in our own county.

For me, State College is different.  If I'm going to make the trip out to Happy Valley during football season, I'd want to attend the game or another major Penn State event in person.  But for a local social gathering, Mercer County makes the most sense.

It's More Than Just Watching Football

I would want this to be more than people sitting quietly in front of a television set.

One of the activities I'd like to introduce is Penn State-themed trivia prior to the opening kickoff.  I would be happy to serve as the emcee, prepare the material and keep the game moving.

There could also be oppportunities for:
  • Penn State trivia and games
  • Blue and white attire
  • Penn State memorabilia
  • Pre-game conversation
  • Group photos
  • Food and fellowship
  • Plenty of nonalcoholic drink options
Most importantly, it would give people a chance to meet other Penn Staters from Mercer County.

It Isn't a Singles Group - But It Could Help People Connect

I'm not proposing this as a dating event.

However, I do think there is value in creating a pace where single Penn State fans can meet other people who already share something important with them.

For me, having a genu9ine Penn State connection is important.  I'd love to meet a woman who understands what Penn State means to me and would enjoy sharing some of those traditions and experiences.

But the larger purpose of the gathering would be community.

Friendships could develop.  New acquaintances could develop.  And perhaps relationships could develop.  None of that needs to be forced.

Let's Build Something Local Together

I don't think Mercer County needs to wait for someone else to create this.

I'd like to explore whether the local Penn State Shenango alumni community, local Penn State alumni, and Penn State fans could work together to establish a recurring Mercer County Penn State Game Day social.

Start with one Saturday.

Find a local venue.

Invite Penn Staters.

Decorate with some Penn State balloons.

Have some trivia.

Watch the game.

See what happens.

If people enjoy it, do it again.

That's how a small gathering can eventually become a tradition.

Mercer County has a Penn State community.  I think it's time we gave that community a place to gather.

WE ARE!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Michael T. Mondak speaks 30 years later about his McKeever experiences

Michael T. Mondak speaks in reflection of the 2026 church softball season

Michael T. Mondak speaks about recent PA House Appropriations Committee Hearing on Higher Education