Michael T. Mondak speaks about the need for a bookstore in the City of Hermitage
Tonight I was in attendance for the Hermitage city commissioners' monthly meeting. Each month's meeting begins at 6pm with a brief work session, where updates are shared on projects and the like. After the work session, the monthly meeting begins. In the citizens' forum portion, I challenged the city commissioners to help get the city a bookstore. These were the exact words I said to the city commissioners:
I'm here this evening to raise an issue that I believe deserves some consideration, and many of you may have seen my letter in the Sharon Herald last Wednesday. Hermitage needs a full-service bookstore.
Since the Shenango Valley Mall closed on June 1, 2024, we haven't had a traditional full-service bookstore in our community. Residents of our fair city who want to browse a large selection of new books often have to travel to Niles, Boardman, Cranberry or even Erie to visit Barnes & Noble or Books-A-Million, or rely on online shopping.
I do not believe that people should have to leave this area simply to have a traditional bookstore experience. That means spending additional money on gasoline, additional time traveling, and ultimately spending some of that retail money outside this area. That is where a full-service bookstore would come in to help keep some of that spending money here. It could also attract people from surrounding communities rather than simply serving the residents of our fair city.
I'm not asking the city to open a bookstore. I'm asking whether the city could help attract one. If residents are already willing to drive considerable distances to get the traditional bookstore experience, then that suggests there may be a market worth investigating.
Now, it could be a major chain like Barnes & Nobles or Books-A-Million, but it could also be an independent bookstore that is specifically designed for the Shenango Valley. Such a business could offer more than just books. It could also host author events, book clubs, children's story times, local-author signings and other community activities.
I've also started asking friends and residents whether they believe Hermitage needs a full-service bookstore and whether they would shop at one if we had it locally. I'm interested in finding out whether there is broader community support of this idea.
So my question to you, the commissioners is: Has the city explored the possibility of attracting a full-service bookstore to Hermitage? And if not, would the city be willing to explore what could be done to make Hermitage an attractive location for a bookstore operator?
I understand that ultimately a private company or entrepreneur has to determine whether the business is financially viable. But I believe it's worth asking whether the city can help create the conditions that would make such a business possible.
Thank you very much for your time, and good night.
The city is willing to mention this to the company developing the Hickory Fields Plaza. In the interim, I will continue to gauge community interest in a bookstore and at a later work session, report back to the commissioners with updates.
Comments
Post a Comment